The Divorce Process In General
- Call (901-848-2549) or E-mail our office to set up an Initial Consultation.
- Discuss the options that are best for you, your family, and your finances moving forward.
- Complete and sign your "Complaint for Divorce".
- Prepare a "Marital Dissolution Agreement", which divides the assets and debts of you and your spouse.
- Prepare a "Permanent Parenting Plan" if applicable, which designates when each parent will exercise parenting time with the child(ren), and will go a long way towards how your children will cope with the Divorce.
- If you and your spouse are able to agree on the Marital Dissolution Agreement and Permanent Parenting Plan, we will file these with the Court along with your Complaint for Divorce.
- Tennessee Law requires that a divorce be on file for 60 days if there are no children of the parties, and 90 days if there are children.
- After the requisite waiting period has passed, we will go to Court for an Uncontested Divorce Trial, at which point we will ask the Court to approve the Marital Dissolution Agreement and Permanent Parenting Plan agreed on by you and your spouse.
- Upon the Court's approval, you will receive a Final Decree of Divorce.